Friday, September 22, 2017

Every Haunting Hour Ever #71: Return of The Pumpkinheads

Season: 4
Episode: 5
Original Airdate: October 25, 2014
Director: Jon Rosenbaum
Writer(s): Erik Patterson and Jessica Scott

Wow! I'm halfway through this season already? Well that sure went by fast! Anyway, this is the third time that this show has made a sequel to an existing episode. In season two, we had The Return of Lilly D and in season three, we had Dead Bodies. As far as sequels go, I thought they were pretty good. What do I think of this one? Well, let's find out.

Karen and her own family move to a farm that used to belong to Farmer Palmer, an insane farmer who kidnapped, decapitated, and mutated several kids (who trespassed on his property) into a murderous pumpkin-headed zombies, and learn that Farmer Palmer may be dead, but his pumpkins are alive and ready to claim more victims.

One of the things I like about the episode was the Pumpkinheads. In the original, the Pumpkinheads looked silly but the music and atmosphere kept them from being laughable. The same can be said here only they seem a bit more unnerving and at times threatening as you get to see more of what they're capable of. For example, there's a scene where you see them lurking around and stalking the family, two scenes where the Pumpkinheads attack one of the parents, and a scene where the aftermath of the parents transforming into Pumpkinheads is shown.

However, the thing I take issue with is the ending. Throughout most of it, the lighting is nearly pitch black and as as result, I could barely see what was going on. I don't mind dark lighting, especially when it's used to create a scary atmosphere, but the way it's used in this part of the episode is just rather irritating. I mean, how am I supposed to enjoy this part if I can't see most of it? 

Overall, Return of The Pumpkinheads is an episode that I didn't particularly care for. Based on how this show handled its other sequel episodes like The Return of Lilly D and Dead Bodies, I kind of expected a bit better than this. It's not the worst episode in the series but it's still rather weak.

Overall Grade: D

No comments:

Post a Comment