Friday, December 2, 2016

Every Haunting Hour Ever #50: The Golem (Part 1)


Season: 3
Episode: 10
Original Airdate: December 8, 2012
Director: Neill Fearnley
Writer(s): Jack Monaco

Hello there ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the 50th review in the Every Haunting Hour Ever marathon! Hooray! Can you believe that I've made this many reviews over the past year? Boy this marathon is moving faster than I thought. Well, in celebration of this milestone, I figured that I review something special for all of you! This is... The Golem. 

Jeremy (Dylan Schmid) and Bonnie (Kacey Rohl) are saddened to learn of the death of their great-grandmother Nadia (Paula Shaw) and travel to her homeland of Russia to spread her ashes. But soon after they arrive, Jeremy learns of a secret evil that Nadia created in the form of a Golem (Dan Payne) and the villagers accuse Bonnie of being her.

One of the things I liked about this episode is the characters, particularly Jeremy and Nadia. For an episode about a relative dying, it would've been very tempting to have the episode start after the death but this episode actually shows us how strong the connection between Jeremy and Nadia really is. Part of this comes from that fact that the actress playing Nadia really gives it her all and sells this character quite well. Not only that but while she is nice, she isn't pitch perfect as shown in a flashback of her bringing something to life to presumably kill off the soldiers invading her village. Hell, she even tells Jeremy about this and given how tough it would be to tell someone about this, it gives a strong indication as to how loving and trusting she is of him. 

Another thing I liked about this episode is how they handled the death. As far as kids shows go, I think they handled it in a somewhat realistic manner. While you don't see the body for very long, the episode shows Jeremy growing more panicked and the monitor flat lining when Nadia dies, which I think is just as powerful and heartbreaking. I'll admit, when I watched this episode the first and second time, I was on the verge of crying because I've lost a couple of close relatives during my life (especially my Memé and Uncle) and it can be quite difficult to move on from something as traumatic as that. 

Overall, The Golem (Part 1) is borderline tearjerking for me and really admire how well they handled a subject as touchy as death. I don't think the second part can top this but we'll have to wait and see. 

Overall Grade: A

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like this episode was well-done. I'm glad they took the time to establish the characters and create emotion instead of just jumping right into it. I've lost relatives too, so that spoke to me. So far it sounds like the Golem aspect is well done too. We'll see what happens in part two.
    -Raidra

    ReplyDelete