Sunday, September 27, 2015

Every Haunting Hour Ever #15: My Sister The Witch



Season: 1
Episode: 15
Original Airdate: March 26, 2011
Director: Micheal Scott

     Awhile ago, I tried to become a Wiccan. However, it was difficult for me to understand what a Wiccan exactly was because there were various branches of this religion that had their own beliefs. It was hard for me to become a Wiccan because most of the branches were not self coronated. This basically meant that you had to get a priestess or someone else to invite you into the branch. That doesn't seem so hard except for the fact that there aren't too many Wiccans living in my area. I might try to invent my own branch of Wicca but I'll see how that plays out. 

     When boy scout Pete (Uriah Shelton) welcomes his teenage sister Alice (Jodelle Ferland) home from boarding school, his best friend Reggie believes she is a witch. It is revealed that Alice met a beginner's witch named Enid at her boarding school who told her she was cursed. Alice suspects that it is a Saired Curse, a curse that is said to first start with misfortune, then steals wealth, health, sanity, and finally life. 

     What I find interesting is that unlike the previous episodes, it harkens back to the days of Goosebumps or Are You Afraid of The Dark? This basically means that the episode isn't super scary but it's not that comedic either. 

     One of the things that makes this statement ring true is the relationship between the brother and sister. Unlike a lot of brothers and sisters in other shows, they don't really fight a lot. The only time where I can recall that happening is when Pete argues with Alice about her being a witch but even then, it's resolved pretty quickly. Because of this, it's compelling to watch these two work off each other when overcoming obstacles that they face throughout the episode such as defeating the person who cursed their family. 

     Another thing that makes this episode good are the twists. While they are a bit obvious, there's a lot of buildup to them and the clues that hint at them tie in rather well. When the twists are revealed, they aren't disappointing and makes the buildup work in their favor. 

     Overall, My Sister The Witch is a great homage to Goosebumps or Are You Afraid of The Dark? Without coming off as too cheesy or pretentious. It was an episode that I'm glad I saw as I found it to be rather entertaining. 

     Overall Grade: A

1 comment:

  1. The title sounds like a bad sitcom (In fact, I think the show Bewitched was inspired by a movie called I Married a Witch). I can't say a lot, though I like how the curse gets progressively worse, and it's nice to hear that the episode is reminiscent of earlier series.
    -Raidra

    ReplyDelete